U.S. Peace Corps Volunteers in Albania.

DISCLAIMER: The thoughts and opinions expressed on this blog do not reflect those of the Peace Corps or of the U.S. Government in general.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Breaking Stuff

So it is official...we are Volunteers. I know you all thought we were for about 3 months now but in reality we were only trainees until we swear in which we did last Thursday morning. Now we are volunteers and residents of Shkoder. After we swore in on Thurs. I went to the capital and had my finger looked at again and it turns out it was broken but healed correctly. The doctor said that because it is my ring finger it isn't really important, it is only a helper. He gave me some excercises to do and sent me on my way. I met up with Tiffany and our site mate, Jessie, on Friday morning for the rest of the trip to Shkoder. We made it here and have been exploring and getting our apartment settled. We have an address now which we will gladly share with all of you if you ask us for it because giving it out on a public website would not be a smart idea, and if we wrote it many of you wouldn't even recognize it as an address. Other than the broken finger we are both healthy and happy, excited to be living in Shkoder, and missing our friends and families back home. Other than the 3 weddings we are already missing this summer it sounds like we now have another wedding next summer too. You all need to stop having important life events while we are in Albania, it is really inconvienant for us to have to miss this stuff.
On the work side of things it is still slow but that is to be expected for the first week of work. World Vision celebrated June 1 (Children's Day) by bringing children in from many villages to watch a movie in the theater in town. They got to see Ice Age 2, and I got to see most of it twice. It was translated into Shqip so my understanding of the words wasn't good all the time but I managed to follow the story line. Tiff has been at the city hall for two days and is doing some minor translating of Shqip-English into better English. I think we are still both a little lost on what we are supposed to be doing exactly but more of that will come with time. Finally it sounds like we will have a constant source of internet, so we can set up Skype dates and facebook chats soon. I am excited because I will still be able to enter the football pool and know all of the final scores because Albania is 6 hours ahead of the east coast USA, right UC?

No comments:

Post a Comment